Head of Quality Assurance
About the role
We work with a wide range of clients – the Royal Navy, Honda, Orange and many other leading global brands – and an even wider range of technology.
This role is a great opportunity for someone ambitious and also passionate about technology and testing, as it offers the opportunity to build and lead a highly effective Quality Assurance team.
You should have a logical and pragmatic mindset, outstanding communication and time management skills and excellent industry knowledge and commercial awareness.
This role reports into the Technical Director and works closely with the Head of IT, Head of Engineering and other Senior stakeholders across the agency. You will maximise the operational effectiveness of the Quality Assurance team and ensure the highest levels of quality for all products and services we create within the engineering department and agency.
You will be expected to demonstrate a flexible but methodical approach and provide expert leadership, support and guidance across the agency.
Day to day, we’d expect you to be carrying out the below activities as part of your job:
- Shape, build and maintain a high performing QA team within the engineering department
- Line management of the QA team including regular 1 to 1s, development plans, objective setting and annual appraisals.
- Proactively defining and driving forward new initiatives to improving our ways of working and processes.
- Oversee the overall planning, estimation, preparation and testing of all projects in line with our standards, processes and industry best practice, working collaboratively with the project teams.
- Mentoring other members of the QA team
- Exploring and encouraging the use of cutting-edge technology
- Communicating complex scenarios and outcomes to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Solving interesting problems of all shapes and sizes
- Working effectively in a multi-supplier environment
We need you to be comfortable with the below:
- Have an excellent understanding of testing principles and methodologies
- Comfortable carrying out both manual and automated UI and API testing
- Using automated testing tools (e.g., Selenium, Cypress)
- Excellent understanding of security best practice and approaches to testing, in line with industry standards and guidelines (e.g., NCSC, OWASP)
- Good understanding of accessibility and SEO guidelines and best practice
- Good understanding of contemporary software architecture approaches
- Experience of testing within an Agile delivery team
- Performance/Load testing tools (e.g., JMeter)
- Mobile Application Testing
Bonus points if you also have specific experience with:
- Cloud infrastructure and services (e.g., Azure, AWS)
- CI/CD and Build pipelines
- Code branching & Pull requests
Tech aside, these characteristics are very important to us:
- Great problem solver
- Enthusiasm for what you do
- Be able to give and receive feedback with an open mind
- Passionate about the quality of the end product
- Have good awareness of industry trends, best practices and standards
- Adaptable at the pace of an agency
- Be able to take on the challenge of learning new tools and frameworks
- To own your place in the team and help to continuously improve the engineering team for everyone
We offer all the usual fun benefits associated with a digital agency plus flexible working hours, the ability to work from home and 27 days holiday, plus bank holidays. We welcome fresh opinions and strive for an inclusive environment.
Please complete all fields unless stated as optional.